Saturday, December 4, 2010

What Happened to TV?

I can't even believe I am typing this. I don't watch TV anymore. How did this happen? Because I'm not boycotting TV, I just can't find anything to watch. We still have cable, but I am not sure why. I guess because the kids like the Disney Channel. I even called to cancel Dish last week but we are under contract until October. Unless something drastic happens we are done with cable TV in October. Rabbit ears, here we come. Can you even attach rabbit ears to a flat screen?

I am amazed that you can flip through 100+ channels of NOTHING. Have I changed or is it TV programming? I've always been able to find something to watch. Now? The only thing we watch as a family is America's Funniest Videos on Sunday evening. If it weren't for that show (and the fact that we watch it as a family) I wouldn't turn the TV on. I do not like reality TV. I don't care if you can sing, dance, survive on a deserted island or get along with a bunch of crazy people trapped in a house. I don't want to know about the drama of housewives all over the country. I would go on but I am too clueless to even know what else is out there not to like!

Just this week both grandma's called to say there was a tornado headed our way. They knew our TV wouldn't be on so they wanted us to be safe. We turned it on and got a two minute update til the dish went out. So even in an emergency the TV was not useful.

I have watched the Clemson Tigers play football a few times this season. But I find that I can't even sit still long enough to watch TV anymore. Even if I am interested I just have more important things to do than sit on the couch and stare at the TV. I'm just not used to it anymore. Commercials are especially irritating and loud. I get sensory overload about ten minutes in.

I've even banned TV for the kids Mon-Thurs. I thought there would be major fits over the new rule. Only for a day or two. Now they don't even ask. I think that is awesome! They read more now, play outside more often, and play the Wii. At least the Wii keeps them active. I think by October they'll be ready to go cold turkey.

Do you watch TV?

8 comments:

Lynn & Bill said...

I agree with you Lisa. I'm not much for watching TV. Most of the time, I feel like I have more important things to do, although Bill wish I would sit still long enough to watch a movie with him. thanks for your blog, I love your writings.

Melissa said...

I love tv! I really do....it helps my mind go numb so I can sleep! Otherwise my mind races all night and I can only sleep a couple of hours. Then I'm a grouch because I NEED MY SLEEP! LOL Good for you though! I can see us doing that eventually...just not now.

Beadles said...

You will have to read my blog post about saving money I mention our televisionless lives on there. I took it in strides. First we took a television out of our bedroom. Then we were able to get rid of the dish. If there are any shows I am interested in (which usually isn't the case)I can just watch them on the internet. Besides, I don't have the time!

The Crazy Coxes said...

There is NOTHING worthwhile on TV. Well, we sometimes watch the news and a football game here and there. We do watch the BYU channel for church things, but that's not often. We could definitely do without TV.

Unknown said...

The comments are refreshing!! Thanks everyone. Lynn, you are awesome and by far my biggest fan! :)

The McGee's said...

We haven't watched network TV forever--I am not even sure why we keep it unless the trip to Adam-ondi-Ahman was on the news.....

Rachel said...

I have a beautiful brand new flat screen TV. I turn it on once a week on Thursdays to watch Grey's Anatomy. During the summer when True Blood is on HBO i am there. I am equally repulsed and obsessed with True Blood. For the rest of the time my TV is off and I am either on the computer or reading during my leisure time.

Robin said...

Too true, too true. Not much on TV, especially down here in Madagascar, where I live. I am amazed at how long people can sit staring at the box at nothing at all... I could do with watching sport every now and then, but even then, if there was something better to do - like getting to the beach, or spending time with friends, I'd rather do that... Regarding kids and TV - I've discovered that they become much more creative, and pleasant to be around without it!